Wednesday 25 July 2012

The One Hundred and Ninety Nine Steps, Michael Faber



The Crimson Petal and the White author, Michael Faber, is back with this historical thriller, romance and ghost story. Sian, troubled by dark dreams and looking for distraction, joins an archaeological dig at Whitby Abbey. The abbey's one hundred and ninety-nine steps link the twenty-first century with the ruins of the past and Sian is swept into a mystery involving a long-hidden murder, a fragile manuscript in a bottle and some peculiar characters. This is an ingenious literary page-turner and is completely unforgettable.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I don't agree with this synopsis. I found the story thin; characters were 2 dimensional and plots weren't dealt with in-depth, It is a novella and this may be where the fault lies. Certainly when I realised it was a Michael Faber, I was hoping for more. Like to go back to Whitby though...

    It's one of two novellas in this edition. I couldn't bring myself to read the next one which is not like me at all. Next!

    ReplyDelete